Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Wow.

At the moment, I know nothing about John G. Roberts, Bush's nominee for Sandra Day O'Connor's place on the Supreme Court, but the only thing I could think when I saw his picture on the Times website was this has got to be the whitest man I have ever seen.
Not that being white is a bad thing, but this guy just exudes it from every pore in his (undoubtedly pure and Christian) body. He appears to be the personification of the arrogance and priviledge that comes with being born into the most prominent race, class, gender and religion all at the same time. Or maybe I'm just suspicious because his name sounds like Bob Roberts.
I know what they say about how you shouldn't trust first impressions. But I also know what I say about how you shouldn't trust anyone hand-picked by George W. Bush.
That's enough ranting for tonight. But mark my words...America is screwed. Again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so carter and i watched that news conference, and all we could talk about was...

-that god-awful jacket-thing his wife was wearing (me)
-that his hair looked terrible, though he still had a fair amount of it (carter)
-that his eyes were somehow disturbing-looking, like that guy in "the great escape" who went blind or something (both)

that said, i feel like the thing nobody's said anything about yet that could be interesting was laura bush's public call earlier in the week that her husband pick a woman to succeed Sandra Day... i'll bet George is sleeping on the couch this week.

-sam