Friday, January 13, 2006

Next!

Since I've been home I've had the chance to catch up on some of the American TV I missed last semester (I watched the news and parts of serials with my host family, but had to constantly ask my host mom who was making what laws, who was dating who and who was avenging whose death. Not because I didn't understand the language, but because I wasn't at home enough to catch entire shows.) Not surprisingly, it hasn't gotten better in my absence. I checked out the MTV dating show "Next" because there had been a casting call for it last spring at Pomona. Nobody from there was chosen for it, as far as I know. Having seen it, I find it hard to believe that my PC liberal arts college was ever considered a possible source for such sound bites as "I'm more than just a pretty face. I also have a great ass!" and "I don't like girls who are cocky--unless it means they can't get enough of my *bleep*..."
The show can sort of be considered progressive in that it sometimes shows five girls competing for a girl, or five guys competing for a guy. I guess the lesson here is that gay people can be just as idiotic and shallow as straight people. Or that I should stop watching TV.
It's a little bit disheartening that upon my return to the US I am greeted with things like that show, Kevin Federline's burgeoning rap career, Brangelina's baby, and Bill O'Reilly's bitching about the "war on Christmas." On the other hand, without all that, it just wouldn't be America.

No comments: