Friday, June 30, 2006

Cheers!

The fact that cars drive on different sides of the street here than they do back in the U.S. hasn't really fazed me. The closest it came was when I saw a car ad on TV where this guy was using a magic door handle to get places. He opened a door at the beach and found himself in the jungle; he opened a door there and was suddenly on top of a snowy mountain; and so on until he used the handle to open the door of the whatever-brand-of-car-was-being-advertised and got in...on the right side. My brain froze for a little while there.
The alternate spellings and strange words have been pretty easy to get used to; so has the famed fries-chips-crisps dilemma. The use of the word "wee" just amuses me; I've gotten used to hearing people say "cheers" instead of "thank you", "you're welcome", "hello", and "goodbye" but am afraid to try it out myself--what if I use it the one time it's totally wrong?
The big news, I guess, is that I finally landed a job--at least for the next month. I'm a general administrative person at an organization called EVOC, and from what I can tell my branch runs workshops in which people are trained to train people to work at charity organizations. Or...let's just say I work at a charity organization. Having watched both the American and British versions of "The Office," I was prepared for the mind-numbing dullness I encountered at my first day of work, during which I labeled envelopes and put sheets of paper in piles for the monthly mailing. The people seem nice, at least. There's no Dwight, but unfortunately neither is there a Jim (or a Tim, I guess, seeing as I'm on the other side of the pond). The one guy remotely my age works at reception, but I don't think I'll see him much.
But I'll have money soon, which is nice, although between rent and groceries and a bus pas and possibly weekend travel, I don't think I'll retain much, if any, of it. Good thing I've been too stressed and busy to go out drinking much. Sigh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel - First of all: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU - and congratulations on making it to 21!!
Unfortunately none of your family will be with you on this special day - but we are thinking of you. I am so glad you found a job already - it seems better than waitressing and you may learn something too. Will you be celebrating at all? You can now drink legally - in the US - probably earlier in Scotland.
Apparently you did not need any help from the Scotsman that I told you about - where we will be staying August 5,6,7 - if this job lasts the summer, we may get to see you in Edinburgh - hopefully.
Take care of yourself'
PS you heard about the death of your grandmother Roz a few days ago - and I offer my condolences to you - the funeral will be tomorrow in Colma With love from Pops

sam said...

Who the heck is dwight? Do you mean... Gareth? (honestly--you're living over there and you haven't bothered to watch the better version?)

anyway, a very happy birthday! I was in DC yesterday for the celebration, and the President and Stevie Wonder got up on stage together to declare that America missed you on its birthday. By the same token, we all miss you on yours. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»