Monday, January 22, 2007

Stuff that has happened in the past few days:

--I decide it would be nice to go visit the boy in Europe over spring break. After carefully comparing prices on dozens of sites, I settle for an American Airlines flight offered on cheaptickets.com. The booking goes well until I hit "Purchase" and get a message saying the transaction didn't go through, try again. I try again, same message. The third time, it works. About an hour later, I get an e-mail telling me my flight is canceled. My card will not be charged, they say. Hmm, I think. I check my bank account online, and not only did they charge my debit card, they charged it--you guessed it--three fucking times. Their customer service people reassure me things will be straightened out by Wednesday, but until then I don't have enough money in my bank account to buy a ticket from another, more legitimate source.

--I meet with my advisor. She informs me, once again, that she thinks I should go to grad school. In fact, I'm the first person in ten years whom she has actively encouraged to study Russian in grad school. No pressure or anything.

--I go to get a key to the music building from the department secretary (I've got an opening shift this semester). A professor enters as I am leaving. I am barely a few steps out the door when he starts talking smack about me. I overhear a few snarky comments to the effect that the last semester I had an opening shift, I was late to work a couple of times. Which is true, but...fucker couldn't even wait till I was out of earshot?

So aside from finding out I'm the bane of the music department, having the ante upped on the whole future thing to an unwelcome degree, and possibly being scammed out of most of my savings, life's just wonderful, thank you.

No comments: