Monday, February 26, 2007

But then again...

This evening, I was on the Metrolink from LA back to Claremont. It was the end of a long day; I had even darker circles under my eyes than usual and my makeup was doing nothing to cover up my most recent breakout. As the train neared the Claremont stop and I made my way to the doors, I passed by an elderly gentleman who smiled at me and said, in a pleasant Southern drawl, "I sure do like the beauty in your face, lady."
He said it in such a sincere, non-creepy way that I couldn't help but have a huge grin on my (ostensibly beautiful) face for the entire walk back to my dorm room. It kind of made my night.
So yeah, score one for public transport, and one for humanity while we're at it.
I should add, though, that this doesn't give all old guys a free pass to hit on me. This was a special circumstance, and every other time I've been propositioned by the elderly it's seriously creeped me out. Yes, I mean you, Mr. Scottish Golfer from the Bank Hotel bar. And you, Mr. Sweaty European Man who tried to dance with me at a ceilidh and thought "My shirt's all wet, it's like I just washed it!" was a valid pick-up line. And you, Mr. Anonymous Russian Guy who came at me out of nowhere, patted my chest through about five layers of clothing, then ran away. And...well, you get the idea.

No comments: