Wednesday, February 07, 2007

California, California...

I have no car.
Today, however, I had an internship interview in Burbank at 3.
To get there, I had to catch the 11:30 Metrolink out of Claremont, hang around Union Station for about 40 minutes, catch the 1:10 Metrolink to Burbank, wander around looking for a bus station for some time, wait at the bus station (conveniently located just downwind of a couple of guys painting a streetlight...mmm, fumes) for about 20 minutes, take the bus to a stop located a couple of blocks away from the internship place, then walk those couple of blocks.
This would have been trying even at the best of times. Today, I was PMSing. By the time I reached my destination, I was ready to go all Carrie on the ass of the next person who crossed my path. But then, noticing that I still had 20 minutes left before my interview, I decided to get some tacos from the stand across the street.
This was actually the best decision I could have made at the time. Not only did the act of eating calm me down, they were the kind of tacos that make Tuesday "Burrito" nights at Frary seem like an exercise in futility. The kind of tacos that make you realize Amherst's vaunted Bueno y Sano is nothing but an impostor. I hadn't had Mexican food that good since...well, Mexico.
After that, everything went wonderfully. I got the internship--that was pretty much a given before the interview--and it's just what I'd hoped it would be. I'm going to be working for the music division of New Wave Entertainment, a smallish production company. The division's called Zoo Street Music, and they deal with music supervision, licensing and composition. Currently they're trying to expand their enterprise, but they only have about five people on their staff...which means that a) I'll get to do actual work as an intern, rather than just filing or whatever, and b) I stand a chance of getting hired once the internship is over.
As if responding to the karmic inertia built up by lunch and the interview, public transportation worked the second time around--it only took about an hour and a half to get back to Claremont, about the same as by car.
So anyway, here are the three simple thoughts I took away from today's adventure:
Tacos are good.
Internships are good.
But would the job of my dreams really be worth living in the city of my nightmares?

No comments: