Sunday, May 22, 2005

Take that, real world!

I made pancakes today. That's right. Fuckin' chocolate chip pancakes. And while it's true that the only thing I really had to do was mix water, pancake mix and chocolate chips together, then pour the batter on the griddle and flip it a couple times, I totally succeeded in not burning or undercooking anything. I could've served those babies at a restaurant. OK, maybe I could've served them at Denny's.
It was an especially exciting achievement following that of yesterday evening, when I managed to find this South Indian restaurant that I hadn't been to in a year. That may not sound like much, but it's impressive if you consider that this restaurant isn't even a restaurant per se--it's a hole-in-the-wall "snack shop"--and I only knew about it because my tabla teacher took a bunch of us there at the end of last year. Having been there twice now, I definitely recommend it. For about $4 I got a foot-and-a-half-long dosa (it's a sort of wrap with vegetable filling, spicy) a couple dipping sauces (spicy) and soup (very spicy.) The only non-spicy things there are the desserts, which I'm still not up to trying. I'm sure they're tasty, but there's this one pistachio-flavored block-shaped thing that looks exactly like Soylent Green. I wouldn't be able to eat it without imagining Charlton Heston bursting through the door screaming, "Gajar ka Halwa is people!" Although come to think of it, South Indian food is supposed to be all vegetarian.

No comments: