Saturday, June 18, 2005

About a bottle...

So my housemate and I drank Nick Hornby's alcohol last night.
Yes, that Nick Hornby, the author of some of my favorite books in the universe, not to mention the author of books that have been turned into movies with John Cusack and Hugh Grant.
It's not quite as exciting as it sounds. Nick Hornby came to his book signing in Pasadena yesterday fresh from an appearance on the Late Late Show, during which he had been given a bottle of Bacardi as some kind of promotional thing. At the signing, he offered the bottle to anyone who could name the highest paid entertainers in Australia. My housemate Katie, who didn't know who Nick Hornby was but came to the signing with me anyway, knew the answer before he had even finished the question. This was due to her work at a preschool, where she had encountered many fans of the Wiggles, an Australian children's band who apparently earn more than Russell Crowe. My hand shot up, Katie shouted out the answer, and he handed us the alcohol. He didn't even ask us if we were of legal age.
And that is how my beloved, dog-eared copy of Songbook came to be inscribed with the following: "To Rachel--don't drink it all at once. Nick Hornby."
For an encore, I'm thinking of scoring Kahlua off of Dave Eggers. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

amazing.


that's just... amazing. (krys)

Anonymous said...

wait... is dave eggers also coming to town?

incidentally, he's really cool in person.

sam

Rachel said...

Unfortunately he isn't...which is actually a good thing, because if I met him and he was really cool and got me drunk, it might make me rethink my inherent dislike of AHWOSG, and I'm not quite ready for that to happen yet.