Monday, April 17, 2006

There ain't no cure for the summertime blues.

Oh yes, I've got those by the barrelful, and summer's still two weeks away. Why the blues? I'm officially spending most of my summer in beautiful, sunny...Amherst, Mass. This is an effort to save money so that I can have a car senior year of college. It is also a last resort. I didn't get any of the internships that I applied for; I didn't even get any rejection e-mails. Apparently I'm not worth notifying.
God knows things could be worse. I'll work a couple of menial jobs (here's hoping I'll be a more attractive candidate than my high-school-aged competition), do some volunteer work and generally attempt to keep as busy as possible until mid-July, when I'll go to Seattle for a film scoring workshop, then fly to Ireland with the family, then come back in August and drive the car-that-I'll-hopefully-have-by-then to school.
Well, it'll be nice to see my high school friends (assuming they still remember me; I've been such a bad keeper-in-toucher), and I'm sure as hell going to try to visit people in Boston, New York and D.C. It's not the high-profile internship that people are supposed to get the summer after junior year; I realize that in abundance. But, as a once-relevant British rock band has been known to opine, "you can't always get what you want."





Leaving me to pose the question: "You can't always get what you want" implies that sometimes you do get what you want, right? So when the hell is that going to happen to me?

No comments: