Saturday, June 10, 2006

I'm so bored with the U.S.A...but what can I do?

I leave the country a week from tomorrow, and dear God am I not ready.
Well, that's not true. I'm ready to get away from Amherst, from life with my parents and from rising gas prices. But I'm not ready to pack, and I'm just a little hesitant to be completely on my own for the first time in my life. I mean, I'm the person who leaves passports in desk drawers, computer chargers in cafes, and long underwear on trains. And here I'm deluding myself into thinking that I can somehow find work and a place to live in London while keeping myself and my finances intact. Right.
The worst that could happen--short of the obvious, which would involve bathtubs and organs and actually having to use that "shipment of remains" insurance--is that I could end up jobless and, instead of earning money, spend all of my savings on living and traveling in the U.K. Which wouldn't be so bad, except that I started this summer with the intent of saving up money for a car. But plans change (this appears to be the theme of my summer). And I have to look at things this way: when else am I going to have the chance to explore another country by myself, without worrying about any commitments to anything or anyone? I'm excited. But still freaked out.
So I've been thinking about other things entirely: for example, after finally listening to Illinois and giving it a fair shot, I came to the conclusion that I like the idea of Sufjan Stevens' music a whole lot more than I like Sufjan Stevens' music. You know what I mean? Like meeting a cute, witty, and musically talented guy but feeling absolutely no chemistry. Sufjan and I have agreed to remain friends, and I might pay him a visit for a "Chicago" booty call every now and again, but that's about it.
Also, after a nearly three-hour drive to New Haven (on my way to visit my friend in New York) during which I left my iPod on "Shuffle" and couldn't skip songs for extreme-weather-related reasons, I realized that I never, ever want to be featured in the Onion AV Club's Random Rules section. All the people on there have such unembarassing random music--their rare guilty pleasures are balanced out by scores of B-sides and obscure indie bands. Knowing my luck, and my iPod's propensity for screwing me over musically, I'd expect a run that included Bon Jovi's "Always" (hey, as the album title says, 100 million Bon Jovi fans can't be wrong), Juvenile's "Slow Motion" (played quite a bit the summer after freshman year, and then never again), Justin Timberlake's "Senorita" (well, at least that has more credibility than anything by *NSync, and it has that catchy call-and-response outchorus), and Color Me Badd's "I Wanna Sex You Up" (no defense for that one, actually, other than that yes, I do want to sex you up).

No comments: