Friday, May 18, 2007

Where to start?

You know, when they show college graduation in movies or on TV, they always show everyone throwing their big square hats up in the air, but they never show what happens after the hats come down. I'm hoping the bruise on my arm goes away sometime soon.
I'm writing this from a public library about a block away from my temporary apartment in Koreatown. I am feeling very white. Tomorrow I'm going to check out an apartment in Pasadena, and if that works out I'll be moving sometime next week. I think Pasadena's a better fit for me than smack dab in the center of LA--it's smaller and more manageable, but it has a pretty happening downtown and it's still within a short drive of all the resources the city has to offer. It's also expensive as all hell, but hopefully I'll be able to swing it.
I bought a car, a 1994 Camry that has seen better days but runs great and has AC that could give a witch's teat some serious competition. Within 24 hours of buying my first car in LA, I got my first parking ticket. I'm contesting it.
I got a part-time job taking tickets at The Echo, a nightclub in Echo Park that showcases indie bands. I emailed the guys at NWE about it, and Omar told me I'd be receiving my first hipster merit badge in the mail shortly. I'm hoping the free shows will be worth the not-so-great pay and the ridiculous hours.
So overall, I'm adapting. I'm still not thrilled about living in Southern California, but I'm finding myself more and more excited about exploring the area from the inside. The beach, the mountains and the desert are all relatively close by, and I have easy access to basically every kind of cuisine imaginable, assuming I'm able to afford it. I have friends in Pasadena and Claremont and Orange County and Encino, and hopefully they will want to hang out with me. And (as I keep reminding myself) I don't have to stay here forever.
For now, though, there's internet at the library and Wilshire Boulevard to walk around and the Section Quartet playing at the Echo tonight. LA, let's do this.

1 comment:

Audrey said...

congrats!!! and ouch. Man oldschool camrys are da shit. I got a 93 last summer. Sounds like things are going well....so congrats again!