Sunday, July 22, 2007

So I guess I should update.

Now that I'm working three jobs, time to myself has become a major commodity. Today was my first day off following a 60-hour work week, and I took the opportunity to sleep in, eat an enormous breakfast, do some laundry and devour my roommate's copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (pretty good despite the lame-ass epilogue, a lot of unanswered questions and some blatant borrowing from Lord of the Rings.)
My third job is at a micro-winery run by a friend of a friend, and it's been fun so far. Business is slow most days, but we do get the occasional customer. I have to say, it's pretty funny watching people taste wine, especially the ones who take it really seriously. The best are the men who bring their wives/dates in for a tasting and attempt to show off their vast wine expertise by questioning us, the staff, about mouth feel and varietals and tannins and such, at which point I just want to say "It's $16 a bottle! Get a grip!" but usually don't.
My own knowledge of wine has increased dramatically over the past two weeks, but that's not saying much--before I took this job, the only "varietals" I knew about were "comes in a box", "two-buck Chuck" and "ooh, let's get that, it has a cute animal on the label."
Oh, and I'm 22 now, and have been feeling simultaneously older than I've ever felt and younger than I've ever felt. It's odd.

No comments: