Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Requiem for a thing.

My iPod died on Saturday. By means of a carefully delivered whack on the table, I was able to resurrect it just long enough to back up all my songs. But then it went and died again, this time taking its music along with it. After about fifteen system restores, it's now in some kind of vegetative state wherein it acts normal when it isn't plugged in, but freezes up whenever I try to put my music back on it.
This is a problem. I hadn't realized how dependent I'd become on my three-inch-long friend. This morning, for example, a bit of construction on the 134 meant five-odd minutes of bumper-to-bumper traffic. Had my iPod been working, I could have scrolled through thousands of songs and come up with the perfect musical selection--something chill, but still upbeat enough that I wouldn't drift off and hit the car in front of me. Without an iPod, and with a broken car antenna that only lets in Jack FM, my options were thus:

1. Silence
2. "Feel Like Making Love" by Bad Company

Guess what I've had stuck in my head ALL FREAKING DAY?

So now I have to get a new iPod. I feel like I shouldn't, to protest Apple's nasty penchant for designing products that expire right after their warranties do, but, well...when I live without my iPod, I live without love. And that's just not acceptable.

No comments: