Sunday, October 29, 2006

Interesting advice from good authors: part 2.

So under the influence of possibly way too much coffee, I had a sudden flash of insight and came up with what might be the best thesis idea ever.
Of course, the whole shebang hinges on my finding a certain document that might not even exist, but that's the way these things go.

In other news, I finally met famous author David Sedaris, only to find that he is, if not an asshole, then a strange, strange man. He did a reading at Pomona on Thursday, and afterwards my friends and I waited in the book signing line for two-odd hours. When I finally made it to the front, David Sedaris and I had the following conversation:

ME: (something to the effect of how much I like his work, and how amazing it is that he'd been signing books for two hours straight--I don't remember exactly.)
DAVID SEDARIS: (something to the effect of "Thanks, it's my job"--I don't remember exactly.) So you're in college, right?
ME: Yeah, I'm a senior--
DAVID SEDARIS: Have you ever been pregnant?
ME: Um, no--
DAVID SEDARIS: OK, here's what I want you to do. I want you to go get yourself pregnant. Then I want you to drop out of college.
ME: What?
DAVID SEDARIS: (starts drawing something in my copy of "Me Talk Pretty One Day") No, I'm serious. You don't even have to know the guy. Just fuck somebody, get pregnant, drop out of school. You'll get morning sickness--here, look, this is vomit (indicates picture he has just drawn, which, as has now become apparent, is an unflattering caricature of me vomiting). And you see this? (draws a square with two intersecting lines in it) This is a window. And this is your future going out of the window. (signs book and hands it to me, looking very pleased with himself)
ME: OK...have a good night...

It's three days later and I still haven't decided whether I'm offended (I mean, honestly, where does he get off thinking he can say these things to people he doesn't know just because he's a famous author? And what if I actually had been pregnant?) or elated (I now have an unflattering caricature of myself drawn by one of my favorite living authors! And he had relatively normal conversations with my friends, who were in line ahead of and behind me, so maybe I'm special!)
Either way, I think I preferred my encounter with my other favorite living author over that exchange. It was a little less personal, but much more profitable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you think he was trying to be funny? i have no idea. but it makes me laugh...again :) but don't get pregnant. let less talented people's futures fly out the window.
-julie