Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Revisiting the classics.

I've recently been studying for the Listening Exam of Doom in my 20th Century Music class. A total of seven hours of music, much of which sounds exactly the same (and not very tonal.) In an effort to get some of it into my head, I watched the "Fantasia 2000" clip for Stravinsky's "Firebird."

My first thought: what'd those bastards do to the music?! I mean, honestly, they cut out the entire first part of the suite just so the clip could begin with the happy fairy sprite and her moose friend (secondary question: what were they smoking?) instead of something more ominous. But then, I'm a geek.
Also, Fantasia was so much better back in the day. I remember watching the original countless times when I was five. Which explains why now, no matter how many times I hear "Rite of Spring," the first thing that comes to my mind is always "dinosaurs."
Hmm, I searched YouTube for the dinosaur clip, but couldn't find it. Disappointing. I did, however, find this, set to Mussorgsky's "A Night on Bald Mountain":

Wait a second...I watched that when I was five?! With the evil god and the undead spirits and the fires of hell and the naked boobies?? Damn, how badly did that mess me up?

1 comment:

sam said...

That's definitely not a moose. Just look at the antlers, honestly, jeez, you bloggers will go and write just about anything!

Also: http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/4159.html
I'm just saying.