Thursday, September 13, 2007

A new year, a new start?

I'm a bad Jew, I guess, for going to work today, but seeing as this is my first full week at NWE I hope I'm excused.
Anyway, for the first time in sixteen-odd years it's September and I'm not starting school. I don't think I've processed this yet, maybe because the transition to full-time coincided so neatly with the start of the new Pomona semester. And while my summer was far from a vacation, it nonetheless effectively ended the way all my summer vacations have ended for the past five years--with a plane ride from Massachusetts to Southern California.
But--and this is a scary realization--from pretty much this exact point onward, life won't have those neat little pre-cut sections anymore. Up until now, every single memory I've retained has been branded with what grade I was in at the time. Furthermore, every school year and every summer has been a unique, almost self-contained experience--the third grade spent in California, the summer in Scotland, the sophomore year in which I learned to like college, the sixth grade where I suddenly became unpopular and yearned for the fresh start middle school would bring.
So now that I don't have that, will my years start running into each other until it's all just a meaningless blur? With apologies to "Rent", how will I measure, measure a year?
In birthdays, in jobs, in apartments, in boyfriends? In oil changes, in haircuts, in contact lenses? In gym memberships, in gallons of milk, in loads of laundry? In seasons of "24"?
How about love?
(Actually, that part of the song never made sense to me. Isn't love, like, intangible? That would seem to interfere with its effectiveness as a measuring unit.)
Happy Rosh Hashanah.

No comments: